As a Metropolia student, your Student Union is METKA!
We at METKA gathered some tips that we think you should know when starting studies. Keep reading and you get to know:
- What is METKA?
- Zone Sport Services
- Student benefits
- Events for Fall 2020
- Student communities in Metropolia
- How to become a part of METKA?
- Five tips for the beginning of the studies
What is METKA?
Metropolia’s Student Union METKA is for you! Our mission is to do student advocacy on different situations. We also organize events and coordinate tutoring.
On you first day, you will meet your tutors. Tutors will introduce you to studying in Metropolia and they will tell you more about METKA. We will also have METKA infos ourselves for every group during the first days, in which you can ask anything you like from us!
Zone Sport Services
METKA is organizing sport services with Zone Sport Services.
Zone offers and produces:
- access to campus gyms
- instructed classes
- ball sport shifts
- possibility to make reservations for sport halls
- competitions and tournaments
- Yogobe online service
Zone’s services are available in seven different campuses situated in the capital region, which are:
- Metropolia Myllypuro
- Metropolia Myyrmäki
- Laurea Otaniemi
- Laurea Tikkurila
- Arcada Arabia
- Haaga-Helia Pasila
- Haaga-Helia Malmi
As a student you are entitled to national student benefits, offered by VR, Matkahuolto, Kela ja HSL.
Download Tuudo App to get a digital student card to get the benefits. On Tuudo you will find also for example lunch menus and class schedules.
The national benefits mentioned above are for all students. Becoming a METKA Member, you will have even more benefits:
- Zone Sport Services
- Discount tickets for METKA’s and other capital region UAS student unions’ events
- Access to Pivo App, which has also a student card and also a lot of student benefits around Finland in the app
- Discounts and services from our other partners
- As a member, you will directly support the student advocacy work that we do for all students in Metropolia.
Events in Fall 2020
Mark these days to your calendar right away:
- 27.-29.8. METKA’s Spex – improvised music theatre by students
- 7.9. Zone’s sport season starts!
- 23.9. METKA’s Freshers party – big event for new students
- 29.9. MetroSport – Metropolia’s sport and well-being event
- 30.10. Haunted House
- 1.-3.11. Kaljaasi – Finland’s biggest student cruise
- 25.11. Kontula Appro & PoroParty
- 6.12. Independence Day Student Procession
Student communities in Metropolia
METKA cooperates with Metropolia’s student associations and helps students to create clubs for different activities. Students associations are doing local advocacy at campuses, in addition to selling student overalls and organizing great events.
Metropolia’s student associations
- Demoni ry
- KaMa ry
- HTO ry
- UIO ry
- MYRO ry
- Rakennusarkkitehtikilta ry – RAK
- TXO ry
- Trombi ry
- ESN Metropolia
Clubs bring students together! You can join a club that already exists or create your own club! Read more about clubs here.
How to be part of METKA?
There are multiple ways to get part of METKA. Here are some information how.
Become a METKA Member
- You can become METKA Member by paying the membership fee on OMA or visiting METKA’s M-piste Member Services, which are located at every campus in Metropolia
- Fall 2020 is 30 euros, the academic year 2020/2021 is 52 euros
- Click here for more information!
Jump right into the heart of action! You can for example:
- Join part of your student association
- Become a tutor: next application period is in fall 2020
- Become a student representative or
- Join a club.
If you have any ideas what METKA should or could do for students, contact us!
Make your voice heard!
- Vote on METKA’s Student Parliament elections in fall
- …or become a candidate yourself!
- To really jump to the deep end, apply to the METKA Board for 2021!
Five tips for the beginning of the studies
Metropolia’s students who work at METKA’s board, gathered tips for you for beginning of the studies.
Prepare for self-direction
Studying in a university is very different from studying in the secondary school. In short, what you learn and take from your studies, is in your own hands. Sometimes the information or new things you need in your future work comes from many sources, and you may feel lost or not knowing what to do in order to make good progress. The studies include both classroom and distance learning. Especially these days, distance learning has become more prevalent.
Meet people and be yourself
Your studies will take around 3-5 years, which is a long period of time in your life. There are thousands of students in Metropolia from different walks of life, so finding friends and peers outside of your own study group is definitely possible. There are many communities and organizations within the university, which make it easier to network and get to know students from other fields as well. In terms of well-being, It is important to have peers who are in the situation and understand the challenges you may face in the university.
There’s something to learn in every course
During your studies, you may have a course or two, or maybe a project, that seems frustrating or not useful for your future work. You may think, “why do I even have to do something like this?” In fact, it is sometimes easier to see in hindsight what kind of working life skills you have learnt in those courses that really contributes to your work. In some fields, there are a lot of project-type learning. Remember to also think what you want to learn during the project and what are the skills you want to develop, as you may be able to affect them directly.
Take care of your well-being
University studies can be exhausting in any life situation. Many students work while studying, some have already their own families and some are active in different organizations or trustee positions. Remember to check yourself every now and then so that you won’t be exhausted from overwork. Make time for also free-time in your schedule and do something relaxing and enjoyable with it. Remember to keep contact with your close ones and have extra-curricular activities you feel relaxing and balancing the possibly hectic life. Metropolia has a great number of student well-being services to support you as well!
Enjoy your student life!
Congratulations, you are now a student! As we know, studies are definitely the best time in everyone’s lives, aren’t them? Well, time flies by faster than everyone thinks. During your graduation you may think that “it was just yesterday when I came here, nervous and excited what my life will be like”. The days and years can include joy, sadness, feelings of uncertainty and succession hand in hand. There’s a lot to take and learn during this time of your life, but first and foremost, enjoy and have fun!
This post is also available in Suomi.