Apply to become a tutor
“I decided to be a peer tutor because my own tutors were so amazing! When I started my studies I didn’t know anyone from my degree programme or my way around the city. But with their help everything went fine and felt so easy. I wanted to do my part and help the students next year.”’
It´s time to apply to become a tutor! As a tutor you will gain valuable experience on guiding a group and get to know new people from all over Metropolia. You can become a tutor by attending the tutor training organized by METKA. You can find the dates below. Read more about tutoring
If you have any questions about becoming a tutor or the tutor trainings, please contact your degree programme’s head tutor or METKA’s staff for tutoring at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2019 tutor application and trainings
Timetable for applications
NB: Schedule for applications have changed due to the transfer of the Leppävaara data center and network to Myllypuro (11.10. – 15.10.). You can find more information on how this affects applying for head tutor trainings.
- Exchange tutoring 23.9. – 18.10.
- Peertutoring 30.9. – 18.10.
- Head tutors 30.9. – 13.10.
Trainings for peertutors
The training is mandatory for everyone, and it consists of afternoon lectures, workshops, Campus day and group exercises. The training includes four (4) separate training days that will be held during the spring semester. To be able to act as a tutor, you will need to attend at least half of the training days. The head tutors of each campus will interview all the applicants during October 2019.
- Wed. 30.10. klo 17 – 20 Training for peertutors
- Thu. 7.11. klo 17 – 20 Training for peertutors
- Sat. 9.11. klo 9 – 17 Training for peertutors
Trainings for exchange tutors
The exchange tutor training is mandatory for everyone as well. It consists of afternoon lectures, workshops, Campus day and group exercises. The training includes four (4) separate training days that will be held during the fall semester. One of these trainings is organized by peer tutors and they will give you more information on this during the other trainings. To be able to act as a tutor, you will need to attend at least half of the training days. The head tutors of each campus will interview all the applicants during October 2019.
Exchange tutors will have one more training on top of the ones mentioned above. This training is co-organized by other student unions of metropolitan area and there will be exchange tutors from other student unions attending as well.
- Wed. 13.11. 17 – 20 exchange tutor training
- Tue. 19.11. klo 16 – 19.30 exchange tutor training, co-organized by metropolitan area student unions
- Thu. 21.11. klo 17 – 20 exchange tutor training
- Sat. 23.11. klo 9 – 17 exchange tutor training
Head tutor applications
NB: As an exception It is possible to apply for head tutor training via email. Instruction for applying via email is here.
Instruction for applying to head tutor training
write a free-form application and send it to email@example.com no later than Sunday 13.10. 11.55pm. Your application should include your basic information, i.e. contact information, home campus, degree programme and when you started your studies. Additionally, you should include the following topics in toy application:
- When did you complete your tutor training and how may degree groups have you tutored?
- Short description of yourself and why do you want to become a head tutor
- What qualities and experiences benefit you as a head tutor?
- What do you think is head tutor’s most importat job?
- How would you develop the head tutoring of you own campus?
Head tutor training will be held in following days. Head tutors in training must attend all the training sessions to qualify for head tutoring.
- Fri. – Sat. 25.-26.10. Head tutor training
This post is also available in Suomi.